Coastal Macrocapa

Planted by Woollcombe to aid navigation from sea

Craigie Ave Trees

James Craigie provide the money for the pin oak trees. The are now various specimens in the median strip. He was mayor for ten years as well as chairman of the harbour and hospital boards.  He donated the statue of Robert Burns in the botanic gardens, the Craigie Avenue oak trees and the chimes for the town clock.

Timaru Herald 12 October 1905 Page 4
In 1905 without warning Mr Craigie asked the council to accept a gift, a plantation of trees, a double row of trees along the centre of the two chain wide West Belt of the original borough, to be planted and maintained by the council. The Council of course accepted the offer. The Mayor placed Mr Harney in charge of the preparation of the ground and in the afternoon of 11th October the planting was carried out. Assisted by Mr Brown, curator of the Park, had had holes dug and a tree laid out for each. The trees were obtained from Wellington as it was found to be impossible to procure trees of the size desired in either Canterbury, Otago or Southland. Mr Craigie spoke and was particularly glad to see some of the pioneers of Timaru present. those who had seen the town when it was all in a state of tussock. He hoped next year to add another section, carrying the avenue to College road and the following year year to complete it to the Main south road. The tree planting began at the north street end. The Mayoress planted the first tree, at the north-west corner and Archdeacon Harper the next on the same side. The Mayor then planted a selected oak, several years old, at the north east corner. Individuals, men and women then in turn helped to plant trees throughout two blocks. A list was kept of the persons taking part in the planting.

Burnett Oak

St. Mary's Timaru. Boulder from Mt. Cook Station, 1986

Visit the Burnett Oak and read the plaque underneith on Perth Street, Timaru. It is on a Boulder from Mt. Cook Station, 1986. It is a protected tree on the list of scheduled trees sata sheet: web.archive.org/List-of-Scheduled-Trees.pdf more info is here: sites.rootsweb.com/trees.htm

The Lovelock Oak

in the TBHS grounds planted in its present position in 1941

Tree Tour

There are some really special trees in Timaru District that tell a facninating story. They were planted for conservation, flood control, for shade, beauty or industry. Some of these trees where planted by people who knew they would never sit under their shade in their lifetime yet they had the forsight to plant the seed for a legacy of wonderful trees.

Mountain Toatoa

Planted in 1994 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the first ascent of Mount Cook

Tī Kōuka – The Cabbage Tree

Find a tree that could pre-dates the Timaru Botanic Gardens

Read more ...

Redwood Dawn

Find a tree that was thought to be extinct 2million years ago

Read more ...

Rātā

Northern rātā Myrtacea (Metrosideros robusta) is one of New Zealand's tallest flowering trees

Totara tree

A Totara tree was planted near the band rotunda as part of the celebrations of Timaru being declared a city in 1948. In 1960

Lime trees

The Aigantighe and surrounds are so beautiful, especially on a foggy day like today. Have you ever noticed the two huge lime trees (Tila)?


They were planted in the early 1900s and are protected by the Timaru District Council.

The Aigantighe which is Scottish for "At Home" was given to the citizens of Timaru by J. W. Grant (1879- 1969) in 1955 to be kept as a garden, a place of peace and rest, and the house to be used as an art gallery. The grounds, about two acres, are maintained as a park, with beautiful oaks, limes, a magnolia tree and there was a flowering cherry tree at the gateway.

The Aigantighe is our home for art in South Canterbury

 

Matson Tree

Dedicated to the memory of the late W.M. Matson by the N.E.  IMP, Assoc. Oct. 1922