No Responsibility for Detention at Rivers - How the mail found its way to Temuka

By Roselyn Fauth

Three days from Christchurch to Timaru was considered a good mail service. Four if it was winter. And if the rivers were up? The mail waited.

A few days ago, I shared the story of Timaru’s library, and how access to books and information gradually became part of our civic life. Today, let’s head up the road to Temuka. Stand near the old Post Office on the corner of King Street and Domain Avenue and look around. There is the former Courthouse. The Rolleston Memorial Lamp. The former Library. And, holding the corner, that handsome brick Post Office with POST OFFICE still written across its façade. It feels  permanent. But before there was a building, there was a mailbag. And somebody had to get it there...

A law, a mailbag and a very long road south

On 15 August 1856, the Local Posts Act became law. It sounds fairly dry until you think about the problem it was trying to solve. How do you connect small communities scattered across a country where roads are rough, settlements are far apart and major rivers can stop you in your tracks?

New Zealand already had an official postal system. According to Te Ara, the first official Post Office opened at Kororāreka, now Russell, in 1840. Mail had travelled before that by ships and informal carriers, and Māori mail carriers were important on some early inland routes.

The 1856 Act did something more specific. The Act itself allowed provincial authorities to establish local postal services. They could set postage rates, and if the money collected was not enough to cover the service, provincial revenue could make up the difference.

There is the civic story. A community could be connected even when every individual postal route did not immediately pay for itself. Of course, passing legislation was the easy bit. Somebody still had to get the mail south.

 

Three days was fast

The geography mattered, as for travellers leaving Christchurch, the great braided Rakaia and Rangitata rivers were serious obstacles. There were no bridges like the ones we cross today without giving them much thought. In May 1858, regular overland mail began travelling to Timaru. Writing in 1862, the Lyttelton Times remembered that the service initially ran fortnightly and that three days were allowed in summer and four in winter. The newspaper also tells us the carrier was a contractor. 

The New Zealand Post Office Act 1858 gave government greater control over the postal network and restricted much of the commercial carrying of ordinary letters outside the Post. But the same Act specifically allowed the Postmaster General to hire contractors to carry mail by land and sea.

Government organised and regulated the network. Private people could still provide the horses, carts, coaches and labour that kept it moving. And the rivers could still stop everyone.

 

Enter William Baines

By 1862, we can put a name onto the Christchurch to Timaru route. William Baines. Baines was advertising a mail conveyance between Christchurch and Timaru, and by early 1863 his advertisements were promising the journey in forty eight hours. The newspaper informed: “No responsibility for detention at rivers.” Fair enough, William.

 

WuHoo Side Quest: William Baines, the horses, the river crossings and what it actually took to move the mail through Canterbury deserve their own story.

Before the Post Office, there was a shop counter in Temuka, or, more accurately for part of this early story, Wallingford. A retrospective history published by the Temuka Leader in 1879 remembered an early store established by Thomas Copestake. The store also served as a Post Office. Sometimes, according to the newspaper, the Christchurch mailbag contained only three letters. It is hard to think of a better measure of how small the settlement once was. Then people arrived, businesses opened, families wrote to one another and their news and messagtes travelled backwards and forwards.

The mailbag grew. Later sources place Copestake’s store around what became King and Commerce Streets, but I am still looking for contemporary evidence that pins its exact position down firmly enough for me to mark it on a map. So that remains a history hunt. 

 

WuHoo Side Quest: Where exactly was Temuka’s shop-counter Post Office, and what can the old maps tell us about Wallingford?

A Post Office and a postmaster, by the late 1860s, Temuka had a dedicated Post Office building on the site we still associate with the service today. The sources differ slightly over the exact date. Timaru District Council’s heritage assessment dates the first building there to about 1867, while Heritage New Zealand places the establishment of the Temuka Post Office at about 1869.

Then a person steps into the building... George Benner.

In May 1869, the Lyttelton Times, reporting appointments published in the New Zealand Gazette, recorded Benner as Postmaster at Temuka.

Now the postal story had something it had not had in Copestake’s little store, it was a dedicated place, a named postmaster and a sign of a permanent point in a growing network.

Then steam changed the clock, while the landscape had not changed, the infrastructure did. In February 1876, the railway connection between Christchurch and Timaru opened through Temuka. A reporter from The Press travelled the route and recorded a journey of about seven hours, including stops. 

Compare that with 1858, three days in summer, or four in winter. And in less than twenty years later, a journey measured in days could be measured in hours.

That change affected far more than passengers. Railways transformed the movement of mail, newspapers, goods and information.

Horses did not suddenly disappear. But the clock had changed.

 

WuHoo Side Quest: Horse, coach, railway, telegraph, telephone. How quickly did communication speed up in Temuka?

Then the old Post Office was put up for sale

By the end of the nineteenth century, Temuka had outgrown its earlier postal building. Money for a replacement was voted in 1899, and eventually the decision was made to build again on the existing Post Office site. Then I found an advertisement in the Temuka Leader dated 3 June 1902.

“FOR SALE, for Removal, THE OLD POST OFFICE, Temuka.”

And there went another afternoon. Because now I want to know:

Where did it go? Was it dismantled for its timber or reused somewhere else? At the moment, I do not know.

 

WuHoo Side Quest: The case of Temuka’s missing Post Office.

The building we still recognise

The replacement Post Office was constructed in 1901–02. Timaru District Council identifies James Baine, a Public Works Department draughtsman, as its designer and Frank Palliser as contractor, with W. Petrie & Son also involved. Heritage New Zealand records Public Works engineer E. R. Ussher calling the tenders and J. L. Potter supervising construction.

The government might authorise a building, but people draw it, price it, plaster it, hammer it together and make it stand. The new Post Office was an impressive piece of Edwardian Baroque civic architecture, using brick, plastered classical detailing and a strong corner position to give a government service a visible presence in the town.

On 16 June 1902, Acting Premier and Postmaster General Sir Joseph Ward officially opened it before a large crowd. A bottle associated with the foundation stone contained coins, stamps, a telegraph form and a copy of the Temuka Leader.

 

WuHoo Side Quest: Who built the Temuka Post Office, and why did government buildings of this period look the way they did?

The Post Office did much more than post.

Only a couple of months after the building opened, Temuka’s first telephone exchange began operating there on 27 August 1902. The Post Office was becoming a communications hub in ways William Baines could hardly have imagined while waiting beside a flooded river.

People came through the doors to send and collect letters, deal with money and use government services. Heritage New Zealand even records Registry weddings taking place there.

The postmaster lived upstairs and public business happened downstairs. Immediately west is the former Temuka Courthouse. A courthouse had occupied that site since 1871, with the present building constructed in 1900–01.

Beside the Post Office stands the William Rolleston Memorial Lamp, unveiled in 1904.

Immediately south is the former Temuka Library, Plunket Society and WCTU Rest Room, built in 1926–27.

 

And the library site has an earlier story again.

A timber Mechanics’ Institute had stood there from 1873. Within a few steps, we can therefore move through the history of: communication, law, literacy, public memory, women’s community work and welfare. Timaru District Council identifies this area as a civic and governmental precinct with roots in the early 1870s. Suddenly these are not simply attractive old buildings standing near one another. They are pieces of the same civic story.

 

WuHoo Side Quest: Take a walk around Temuka’s civic corner and read the town through its buildings.

Follow the mail

Next time you are in Temuka, stop near the old Post Office. Look at the building, then look around it. Think back to Thomas Copestake’s shop counter and a Christchurch mailbag that might contain three letters. Picture William Baines heading south, with no promises if the rivers were high. Put George Benner behind the Post Office counter in 1869. Listen for the railway arriving in 1876. Look at the substantial brick building that replaced the earlier Post Office in 1902. Then turn around and notice the Courthouse, the memorial lamp and the old Library.

Different services, but the same bigger question keeps appearing.

How do communities make information, communication and public services available to the people who need them? In the 1850s, the answer involved legislation, provincial money, private contractors, horses, rivers and mailbags.

Eventually, it became bricks and mortar. And much of that story is still standing in King Street.


 

Timeline: From Mailbag to Civic Precinct

1840
New Zealand’s first official post office opened at Kororāreka, now Russell. Before the government network expanded, mail could travel by ship, informal carriers and, on some early inland routes, Māori postmen.

15 August 1856
The Local Posts Act 1856 received assent. It allowed local postal services to be established within the provinces. Provincial authorities could request services and set postage rates, and provincial revenue could cover a shortfall if a route did not pay for itself.

May 1858
The first regular overland mails to Timaru were sent south from Christchurch. The Lyttelton Times later recorded that the fortnightly journey took three days in summer and four in winter. The carrier was a contractor.

26 June 1858
The New Zealand Post Office Act 1858 received assent and came into operation on 1 October. It strengthened the national postal system and specifically allowed contracts to be made for carrying mail. It also restricted the paid carriage of ordinary letters outside the Post, subject to exemptions.

Early settlement years at Temuka / Wallingford
Before a dedicated Post Office was built, Thomas Copestake’s store also served as a Post Office. A retrospective Temuka Leader account published in 1879 remembered that the Christchurch mailbag sometimes contained only three letters. The exact date and precise location of Copestake’s postal store still need firmer contemporary evidence.

1862
Within four years of the first Timaru service, the mail was travelling weekly and the Christchurch to Timaru journey was being completed in about two days.

29 September 1862 onward
William Baines was operating a twice-weekly mail conveyance between Christchurch and Timaru. His advertisements promised the journey in forty-eight hours.

7 February 1863
One of Baines’s advertisements contained the memorable warning: “No responsibility for detention at rivers.” It is a wonderfully concise piece of evidence for the logistical problems posed by Canterbury’s braided rivers.

c.1867
Timaru District Council’s heritage assessment dates the first dedicated Temuka Post Office building on the present 59 King Street site to about 1867. Heritage New Zealand gives the establishment of a Temuka Post Office as about 1869, so I would describe this in the blog as “by the late 1860s” rather than claiming an exact founding year.

6 May 1869
The Lyttelton Times reported the appointment of George Benner as Postmaster at Temuka.

1871
Temuka’s first Courthouse was erected on the site now occupied by the surviving former Courthouse at 2A Domain Avenue. This helped establish the civic and governmental character of this part of the town.

1872–73
The Temuka Mechanics’ Institute was established in 1872. Its timber building was erected in 1873 on the King Street site later occupied by the 1926–27 Temuka Library.

February 1876
The railway connection between Christchurch and Timaru opened. A special reporter for The Press travelled the 107-mile route through Rakaia, Ashburton, Rangitata and Temuka. The Christchurch to Timaru journey took about seven hours including stops.

18 October 1879
The Temuka Leader published Temuka: Its Rise and Progress, preserving valuable memories of early Wallingford, including Copestake’s store Post Office, the growth of local businesses and the later construction of a separate Post Office. It is an important local source, but it was written retrospectively.

1899
Money was voted for a replacement Temuka Post Office, although discussion about where it should be built delayed construction. The decision was eventually made to retain the existing postal site.

1900–01
The present Temuka Courthouse was constructed beside the Post Office site. The original 1871 Courthouse had been removed and reused by a local lodge.

August 1901
Construction began on the new masonry Temuka Post Office. Timaru District Council identifies James Baine, draughtsman in the Public Works Department, as designer and Frank Palliser as contractor, assisted by W. Petrie & Son. The building is Edwardian Baroque in style.

3 June 1902
The Temuka Leader advertised “THE OLD POST OFFICE, Temuka” for sale and removal. Where that earlier building subsequently went remains an open research question.

16 June 1902
Acting Premier and Postmaster-General Sir Joseph Ward officially opened the new Temuka Post Office before a large crowd. A bottle associated with the foundation stone contained coins, stamps, a telegraph form and a copy of the Temuka Leader.

27 August 1902
Temuka’s first telephone exchange opened in the new Post Office building.

1904
The William Rolleston Memorial Lamp was erected beside the Post Office, adding another element to the developing civic precinct.

1913
An addition was constructed on the south side of the Post Office for the expanding telephone exchange.

1926–27
The present former Temuka Library, Plunket Society and WCTU Rest Room was built immediately south of the Post Office, replacing the Mechanics’ Institute building of 1873. Local MP T. D. Burnett laid the foundation stone on 24 June 1926, and the building opened on 14 February 1927.

1949
The telephone exchange operating from the old Post Office was superseded by a new exchange.

1988
Banking operations moved out of the former Post Office building.

1993
According to Timaru District Council’s heritage assessment, postal services moved out of the historic building. This differs slightly from Heritage New Zealand’s summary, which suggests the building ceased operating as a Post Office in 1989. I would use the Council’s more detailed service-by-service chronology, while noting the discrepancy if we ever explore the closure in depth.

Today
The 1901–02 former Post Office remains at 59 King Street, beside the former Courthouse and Rolleston Memorial Lamp and immediately north of the former Temuka Library. Timaru District Council identifies this area as a civic and governmental precinct with roots in the early 1870s.


Sources and Full Links
Primary legislation

Local Posts Act 1856, New Zealand Legislation
https://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1856/30/en/latest/

This is our key source for what actually changed on 15 August 1856, including provincial requests for local posts, postage rates and provincial funding of shortfalls.

New Zealand Post Office Act 1858, New Zealand Legislation
https://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1858/15/en/latest/

Useful for the powers of the colonial government, the contracting of mail carriage by land and sea, and the restrictions placed on commercial carriage of ordinary letters.

Contemporary newspapers and primary local evidence

Lyttelton Times, 5 April 1862, “The Inland Postal Service of Canterbury”, Papers Past
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/LT18620405.2.18.4

One of the strongest sources in the story. It records the May 1858 beginning of regular overland mail to Timaru, the three-day summer and four-day winter schedule, the contractor model, river-crossing difficulties and subsequent improvements.

Lyttelton Times, 4 October 1862, William Baines mail-conveyance advertisement, Papers Past
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/LT18621004.2.2.3

Confirms William Baines operating the twice-weekly Christchurch to Timaru mail conveyance from September 1862.

Lyttelton Times, 7 February 1863, William Baines advertisement, Papers Past
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/LT18630207.2.2.3

Contains the forty-eight-hour claim and the wonderful warning about “detention at rivers”.

Lyttelton Times, 6 May 1869, “Town and Country”, Papers Past
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/LT18690506.2.9

Source for the reported appointment of George Benner as Postmaster at Temuka.

The Press, 5 February 1876, “By Railway from Christchurch to Timaru”, Papers Past
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP18760205.2.15

Detailed contemporary account of the opening railway journey through Rakaia, Ashburton, Rangitata, Temuka and Timaru, including the approximately seven-hour travel time.

Temuka Leader, 18 October 1879, “Temuka: Its Rise and Progress”, Papers Past
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TEML18791018.2.5

A particularly valuable local retrospective source. It records Thomas Copestake’s early store serving as a Post Office and the tiny Christchurch mailbag, as well as the development of Wallingford and Temuka. Because it was written later, I would continue to identify it as a retrospective account rather than treating every early detail as contemporary evidence.

Temuka Leader, 3 June 1902, advertisement offering the old Temuka Post Office for removal, Papers Past
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TEML19020603.2.16.3

The source behind our open question: where did the old Post Office go?

Heritage and built-history sources

Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga, Post Office (Former), Temuka, List No. 2036
https://www.heritage.org.nz/list-details/2036/Listing

Covers the 1901–02 building, its opening by Sir Joseph Ward, construction personnel, earlier Post Office, foundation-stone contents, banking, Registry weddings and architectural significance.

Timaru District Council, Historic Heritage Assessment: Former Temuka Post Office, HHI112
https://www.timaru.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/673934/Historic-Heritage-Assessment-Report-HHI112-Former-Temuka-Post-Office-Category-B.pdf

This is probably our best built-heritage source. It gives the c.1867 earlier Post Office, 1901–02 replacement, James Baine, Frank Palliser, telephone exchange dates, later changes and the relationship with the surrounding civic precinct.

Timaru District Council, Historic Heritage Assessment: Former Temuka Courthouse, HHI113
https://www.timaru.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/673935/Historic-Heritage-Assessment-Report-HHI113-Former-Temuka-Courthouse-Temuka-Historical-Society-Courthouse-Museum-Category-A.pdf

Covers the first Courthouse of 1871, its replacement in 1900–01 and the wider civic precinct.

Timaru District Council, Historic Heritage Assessment: Former Temuka Library, Plunket Society and WCTU Rest Room, HHI111
https://www.timaru.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/673933/Historic-Heritage-Assessment-Report-HHI111-Former-Temuka-Library%2C-Plunket-Society-and-WCTU-Rest-Room-Category-B.pdf

Covers the Mechanics’ Institute established in 1872, its 1873 timber building, the 1926–27 replacement and the Plunket and WCTU spaces.

Timaru District Council, Historic Heritage Assessment: William Rolleston Memorial Lamp, HHI115
https://www.timaru.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/673937/Historic-Heritage-Assessment-Report-HHI115-William-Rolleston-Memorial-Lamp-Category-B.pdf

Useful for the memorial and the development of the civic streetscape surrounding the Post Office.

Timaru District Council, King Street Temuka Historic Character Area Assessment
https://www.timaru.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/674030/Historic-Heritage-Historic-Character-Area-Assessment-Report-King-Street%2C-Temuka.pdf

Useful for understanding the Post Office as part of the wider Victorian and Edwardian commercial and civic streetscape rather than as an isolated heritage building.

Wider postal and place context

Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand, “Mail and couriers: Beginning of the postal system, 1810s–1850s”
https://teara.govt.nz/en/mail-and-couriers/page-1

Useful for the first official Post Office at Kororāreka, early maritime mail, Māori postmen and the development of regular provincial postal networks.

Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand, “Mail and couriers”
https://teara.govt.nz/en/mail-and-couriers

Useful overview of changing postal transport, from sailing ships and overland carriers through coaches and railways.

Te Ara Encyclopedia of New Zealand, “South Canterbury places: Temuka”
https://teara.govt.nz/en/south-canterbury-places/page-5